Sunday, November 20, 2011

I'd first like to start this post with a general "THANK YOU!!" for the letters, the well-wishes, the Skype dates, and most importantly, the "happy birthdays" that I received this past week! Everyone was so thoughtful in their positive thoughts, prayers, and words! I cannot tell you how nostalgic I became (in a good way) from the reminders from home! Y'all rock!

I spent my birthday in the company of seven other assistants in Nice in a restaurant called Le 22 Septembre. I received the recommendation off another blog, The Best of Nice It's written by a woman who reads the Nice Matin (morning newspaper), and keeps visitors, friends, and foreigners up-to-date on the happenings around Nice. It's a really valuable resource for anyone who's considering coming for a visit! Anyway, the food was superb.



The company was even better.


A lot of us are on tight budgets, so going out to eat was really special. It was a lovely way to celebrate my time here, with people who have become more than just acquaintances! In addition to a super supper, my roommate Katie bought a packet of crepe mix as a surprise, which we made and ate for lunch. Needless to say, my tummy was pretty happy.

Katie making crepes:


The people I spent my birthday with have made me feel special and appreciated. I feel so blessed to have found such friends on this crazy journey. I have the sea, the climate, good food, good friends, and an adventure I feel excited to be on. What's also interesting about being here is my abundant free time. At first I thought it would drive me crazy, with working the hours that I do, and not living directly in the center of town (I live about 25 mins walking from Nice center), but to be honest, it's been good for me. With the craziness and stress of graduation, I didn't really have the time to reflect on what my future held, or what I really wanted to do. Being home this summer, I worked bizarre hours 5 days a week as a bartender, then babysat two different families for four to five times a week. My schedule this summer was weird and busy. Needless to say, I didn't have much time for quiet reflection and settling. Being here gives me that opportunity. It's quieting. I went from living with 7 girls in one house, to having a crazy schedule, to having too much free time. I think it's good for me. I need to let it be good for me. I haven't spent this much time with myself in a long time. As cliché as it is, it's nice getting to re-know myself.

As of now, it's been greatly beneficial. I created a plan. Albeit a hazy one, a plan nevertheless. In between meditating and yoga (kidding!) I have been studying for the LSAT, and applying to jobs that look genuinely interesting. I know for a fact that I do not want to reapply for this program come April. Not because it isn't a wonderful program, or because living in France isn't absolument fantastique, because it is. I know it's something I don't want because I have equated being in this program with taking time to think about what I really want. In other words, at this time next year, I don't want to have to still be thinking about it. I want something much more concrete. Perhaps I am wrong for putting a time frame on "getting to know myself", but I feel like it's a smart move. Giving myself enough time to learn from being here, enough time to garner skills to bring back with me to the States, and enough time to plan my next move. Putting a conclusion on this reflection period guarantees (or rather, forces) a plan upon me. And I get to improve my French, enjoy la vie nicoise, better my leadership skills, learn from my own students, and eat good food. Pas mal.

No comments: