Anyway, this is the completion of my first full school week in Nantes! I'm proud of myself for getting through it. I was thinking about the city on my bus ride home today, and I really do hope that I fall in love with France. I can see myself really missing it once I leave, but right now I'm content with just appreciating being here.
As for my schooling... we picked classes today. They start next week. Unfortunately, due to my low test scores on the placement exam, I have been placed in the lowest level grammar class. I thought of you, broha Michael, when I saw that's where I had been placed (you were right about needing to study more over the summer). At first I was a little upset, but I've had some time to think it over, and I think that I will be right where I need to be. If I'm not challenged enough, I'll ask to be moved up, but this might be great review. We also have the option of taking classes at the university of Nantes. Although I don't know how it'll end up, I decided to sign up for a history class there. My advisor said that if the class is too hard, I can drop it and take another course at IES instead. The reason I wanted to, however, is to explore the educational system here. We learned a little bit about it this week, and it sounds really different than any class I've ever taken.
In the US, professors are expected to follow a syllabus and are responsible for the amount of material learnt by students. The have set homework each day and assign readings expected to be covered in the following class. In France, however, professors are NOT responsible for the amount of material that students learn- students basically teach themselves. For example, if a class is about the life and works of Socrates, students are expected to find books about his life and his philosophies, read them, and use the professor for guidance and questions. It's much like the graduate programs that universities offer in the US. I chose to take a history class for two reasons. 1- I don't know much about France's history, and heck, I'm HERE aren't I?! I should know a thing or two. 2-History seemed the easiest route to go to do some independent learning. History in general is pretty straightforward. Although I'm pretty nervous about the class, I have a plethora of options should the class not be right for me, and a number of opportunities for guidance from other people (my IES advisors, other students, my host family, etc.)
But, the whole reason I wanted to write this post was because I had an absolutely wonderful experience last night :)
Dad, this story is for you (I know you'll love it!)
Ok so 2 days ago my host sister Marie asked me if I wanted to go to a dance club. Of course I said yes. So while she tried to work out the details, I just kinda went off on my own thing, thinking that we would go this weekend or something. Well later that night (2 days ago still) she mentioned that she didn't know how we were going to be able to go, since none of her friends were driving that night (as DDs) and the dance club is a pretty far walking distance. While I was sad, I wasn't hugely disappointed because I knew I had a lot going on this week and would probably be tired. Well, the day went on and I went to class all day yesterday and took a 2 hour walking tour around Nantes. Needless to say, I was pretty tired by the time I came home and all I wanted to do was pass out. Unfortunately, I also had a of of homework to accomplish. While I was sitting on my bed, Marie (of course this happened) came bouncing into the room exclaiming that she had found a way to go! Being the good student that I am, I told her I didn't think I could go. She seemed disappointed, but ok about it. Second guessing myself, I logged onto Skype and AIM and chatted with 2 buddies about the situation- shoutout to Dan and Tristan! They, being the good friends that they are, told me to GO! And well, you know the rest. What else is a 20-year old student living in France going to do? Duhhh.
I had so much fun!! First, Marie and I walked across the quartier they live in to a friend's house. The people there were not so great, and kinda boring, but it wasn't the usual group of friends that Marie hangs out with anyway. She reassured me that the dance club would be muuuuch better. And it was :) They played all techno, but I learned some pretty awesome dance moves and met a lot of her friends! They were so typical French people... I loved it. They'd ask me where I was from and when I responded "Chicago!" they'd ooh and awe over the US. Them speaking English to me in their French accents were also pretty humorous, but I give them props because they knew a lot of English. Probably more English than I know French! (Ok, maybe not, I mean I AM pretty much fluent- NOT! - but still, I was impressed)
And as all fun nights go, we didn't get back until about 4 am. (Sorry Mom, but can you blame me? And SPO/Ashie, I know you're proud of my raging skills) I had to get up this morning at 8:30am... but trust me, it was worth it. And the homework? Not a problem. So overall I'm pretty pumped about it. And Saturday Marie is taking me to a James Bond- themed party! Clotilde (the older sister) is being so cute about me borrowing her clothes! I feel pretty good about my relationship with them so far- I mean, if they hated me they wouldn't want to introduce me to their friends, right? Haha, so it's all good.
In other news, I signed up for sports classes at the University (soccer and yoga) so hopefully I'll be able to meet some kids on my own. I like the kids at IES- some of my better friends include girls named Avril and Hannah, but I'll be spending a lot of time with them eating lunch and galavanting across Nantes, so I'm not too concerned about the time spent with them on the weekends. I'm really excited to ebb and flow with the tide and just see what happens.
I'm going head out though- let me know if you have any questions! Love you and miss you all!
Mol
7 comments:
Mol-
I don't know if you got this twice, but I am so glad to here that you are having such a great experience so far! Rob got home last night and he had a wonderful trip! I will email his pix to you.
Mo
Hi Mol--OK so it sounds like you are going places alone! Please go with someone--be safe and safe!!Also, you HAVE to email your mom every other day to tell us you are alive and well. Just two rules to follow. We love you sooo much and are so glad you are enjoying everything!! Peace out! Your folks
Hahaha told you Molls!! Remember, I'm always right!! haha jk, but im glad to see that you're doing well!! Loves you!! Mikey
Molly!
Sounds like you're having a blast...isn't European nightlife the best?
Mols-
I AM SOOOOOOOO BUMMED I MISSED YOUR CALL!!!!! I couldn't believe it!!!! My golden opportunity to chat with you live!!! PLEASE try to call again when you have a moment!!!
The boys are feeling much better and I actually think I will have 2 hours to myself tomorrow :) I will type you a longer e-mail tomorrow or Tuesday.
I love you thoooooo much-- like 135 yearsth....
Sheils
Mo- I'm so glad Rob had a great trip! I can't wait to see pics!
Aimee- Haha yes I love the nightlife- it's oh so Euro-style :)
Sheebs- I was bummed too! I will definitely try and call again later this week- I have some time tomorrow (Tuesday) so maybe then? Love you!
Haha props to Dan for co-sponsoring great advice with me! I will be sending an e-mail soon... perhaps after i type this comment lol.
-Tristan
Post a Comment