There are 2 types of people in the world- those that enjoy making lists, and those that don’t. I am one of those people who enjoy making lists and so, I will share my love of lists with you.
Things that have recently caught my attention here in France:
- Soccer
- Fitness in general
- Things that have slowly started to grow on me, including the shower, my classes at IES, the language
- Nantes
Une/ One/ 1
Soccer. Futbol. I had my very first encounter with the French and their futbol earlier this week. I signed up to play through the University of Nantes’s athletic program. It’s similar to intramurals at US colleges. Anyway, the first meeting was Monday night around 7:30pm. I figured that since the brochure obtained at the athletic building read “All Levels Welcome”, I would be playing with kids from literally all levels of experience. Well, I was wrong. There were about 8 other girls there total, all but one of which were very good players. I could be mistaken, but I’m pretty sure that they play together on some sort of competitive team. After not having done much exercising since being here and not having done much soccer playing since well, last October, I was a little rusty. Needless to say I was promptly put in my place. For the next hour and half, I focused on getting my rhythm back. It felt good to play again though. I didn’t get to say much to the other girls, especially considering that it really takes time to become friends with people here in France. It was pretty funny trying to teach the coach how to pronounce my name though – finally I just compared it to Moliere, the French playwright and actor. That did the trick. I am very excited to go back on Monday J
Deux/ Two/ 2
Fitness. Today, I was fortunate enough to go to an aerobics class at the athletic building. Yes, French aerobics classes are quite different than classes here in the US, for a few reasons. (Woohoo another list!)
- Europeans in general, I think, do not wear athletic shoes very often and thus, come to aerobics classes with shoes that would normally be fit for just walking around. Think Converse.
- There isn’t much stretching. Before or after.
- Europeans don’t sweat!!! I felt like I had jumped in a pool. Afterwards all the girls were still perfectly coiffed and polished.
- All of the music was English- Madonna, Kelly Clarkson, etc. (Not a reason for being different but I thought this was interesting)
I also noticed that Europeans don’t wear sweatpants. Good to know for you future travelers out there huh?
Trois/Three/3
- Yes, the smaller showers have been growing on me. While shaving is still a small issue, I enjoy having a movable shower head and not too much of a clean-up afterwards.
- My classes at IES have been improving. Well, some of them anyway. I really enjoy my French literature class and my French sociology class. Econ is easy so far because I’ve already learned everything the prof has been explaining. Grammar is, well, grammar. And my history class at U of N starts TOMORROW! Wish me luck J
- French has most certainly been good. While I still don’t understand a lot, especially when people start talking really fast, it’s just a beautiful language to listen to. My “New Vocabulary” notebook is getting more full every day.
Quatre/Four/4
Nantes. There is so much history in Europe that isn’t in the US. I went to my first catholic mass here on Sunday. What an experience. No, I did not understand most of it, even though the order of mass was the same. But I love being in a really old place and imagining myself as a young women in that century. To think that people have been praising God for centuries in one location is so surreal. Knowing how impersonal politics can get, it’s weird to think that deep down, we’re still worshipping the same God. I also was fortunate enough to go to a local museum here in Nantes, called Musee Dobree., where there is a lot of medieval helmets and swords and things. I think I spent 30 minutes in one room alone, just staring and imagining myself back in the days where combat occurred through swordfights and metal helmets instead of radars and nuclear bombs.
Anyway, I need to go to sleep!! Class tomorrow at 8am, eek!
Love love love,
Molly
3 comments:
Dear Moliere,
All of your soccer coaches would love to know you are taking it outside the country!Discovering those "out of the way" places is so wonderful.So happy to know church is on your list!
Love, Your Momiere
Yay for lists!!
Molly,
I'm glad you're doing soccer there! I joined up the Rome Center's league where basically anyone can play...it's a lot of fun so far, even though I'm awful!
I'm sure you'll have a blast even though it may be intimidating now!
I totally agree with you on athletics and working out...No one in Italy goes running outside...They're all very concerned with outward appearances and don't want to look sweaty or gross!
Aimee
Post a Comment